Santa Barbara Historic Images
Santa Barbara is the only mission continuously operated by the Franciscans since its founding in 1786. The elegant church, which has a Neoclassical façade. has been extensively illustrated over the years, and this gallery contains many illustrations done in the 19th century and several contemporary photographs of this special mission.
The Santa Barbara mission in 1794
The port city of Santa Barbara as it looked c. 1829
Building of Mission Santa Barbara
By Fr. Lasuen, a mural on display in the Santa Barbara Courthouse. The mural inaccurately shows the current church, which wasn’t completed until 1820 (Lasuen died in 1803).
Mission Santa Barbara
After an 1875 painting by Edwin Deakin (1838-1923), from a print in the collection of the California Missions Resource Center.
Santa Barbara, by Edward Vischer
Vischer’s drawing honors Fr. Jose Maria de Jesus Gonzales Rubio, O.F.M. a prominent and highly regarded missionary and church leader located at Santa Barbara in 1842 until his death in 1875.