San Rafael Historic Images
In 1870 a modest frame church was built where the mission chapel was located, and the remaining ruins of the mission complex were removed. All that remained was a solitary pear tree. In 1909 the Native Sons of the Golden West erected a bell and sign there. It would be another forty years before a replica of the original mission was built in 1949.
This gallery presents illustrations, paintings, and photographs of the original mission, the imposing St. Raphael Parish Church, and, of course, the replica completed in 1949
A drawing of San Rafael by Alphonse Emile Sondag
This is considered an authentic rendition of how the mission looked in the mission era before it was secularized in 1834
San Rafael by Oriana Day
San Rafael by Oriana Day, courtesy Library of Congress. Day’s original oil paintings are at the de Young Museum in California
Coast Miwok family by Mikhail Tikhanov
Tikhanov was a Russian expedition artist. The Indians at San Rafael were primarily Coast Miwok, Wappo and Pomo.
Indians cross San Francisco Bay
A drawing of Mission San Rafael
by Edward Vischer, courtesy Library of Congress
Edwin Deakin’s painting of Mission San Rafael
The Santa Barbara Mission Archives has a collection of twenty-two of Deakin’s original paintings.
The first frame church of Saint Rafael Parish
The mission ruins were removed in 1870. This church was built on the site of the original mission and later replaced by the imposing current parish church.
Courtesy Library of Congress.