San Fernando Historic Images
This gallery contains images depicting an exact replica of the mission’s third church, completed in 1806, and several illustrations of the mission complex as it looked in the mission-era, as well as contemporary photographs.
The most captivating building at San Fernando is the Convento or Long Building, which dates to 1822, A colonnade with 19 arches borders the full length of the building, which measures 243’ by 50’.
Chapel and Principal Buildings of the Ex-mission of San Fernando
By Edward Vischer (1809-1878), published in his book, Missions of Upper California, 1872.
A California Magnate
Don Andres Pico in his home at the ex-mission of San Fernando, by Edward Vischer, 1865.
Fr. Narcisco Duran hearing complaints of the neophytes at Mission San Fernando
By Alexander Harmer, colorized 2014 © Pentacle Press LLC
Mission San Fernando Convento
By Edwin Deakin
A late 19th century drawing of San Fernando
Artist unknown, courtesy California Missions Resource Center.
Mission San Fernando Rey
By Will Sparks, circa 1922.
Father teaching Indians how to make adobes
This is one of several “mission life” paintings on display at the mission, by Escobar-Keith / Harland A. Peterson.
The San Fernando Convento
By Chris Jorgensen, done circa 1903.
Mission San Fernando
A watercolor by Russell Ruiz (1925-1988).
The Ezcaray Altar, Reredos and Pulpit in the mission church
A photograph by David J. McLaughlin. These historic pieces, made of walnut, date to 1687.
The San Fernando Church
Seen from the East Garden, a photograph by David J. McLaughlin. This is an exact replica of the mission’s 1896 church, destroyed by an earthquake in 1971
A contemporary view of the convento arches
By David J. McLaughlin, 2010. The convento (also called “The Long Building”) was built in 1822 and has 19 arches.
The Serra Statue
By Sally James Farnam. This 1923 sculpture is located in Brandt Park, opposite the mission.
A statue of Fr. Fermin Francisco de Lasuen
By Stephen Zakian, 1955. This statue of the founder of Mission San Fernando is located in the West Garden.