San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Technical Drawings
San Carlos Borromeo (popularly called Mission Carmel) has a long, complex history. The current church, which was dedicated in 1797 (twenty-seven years after the mission was founded) was the seventh Carmel church. After being secularized in 1834, the mission was largely abandoned and in 1853 the roof of the church collapsed. While there were partial restorations in 1884 and 1924 the original curved roof was not replaced until 1936.
While we have an authentic layout of mission grounds (done by U.S. Land Office in 1854) and other useful drawings, there were no detailed architectural drawings made of the Mission Carmel church by the Historical American Buildings Survey.