La Purísima Concepción Historic Images
With over 20 buildings, La Purisima is the most fully restored California mission. Building was completed between 1934 and 1942 by the National Park Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps. La Purisima is a California State Historic Park, with the restored mission complex surrounded by approximately 2,000 acres. The former mission church has been handsomely restored. Located as it is on a state historic park, it is not an active church.
La Purisima is a “living history” museum. You will see docents dressed in mission-era clothing, and giving a demonstration of mission activities (weaving, cooking, candle making, etc.). This is also the only mission with live animals, which are housed in a large corral in front of the mission buildings. The complex includes a new Visitors Center and Exhibit Hall located just beyond the parking area.
While this gallery displays paintings, murals, and illustrations that depict how the mission looked at various stages in its history, it includes ten photographs of representative buildings and scenes that illustrate what one can expect in a “living history” museum.