San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo was an extremely important mission because of its proximity to the capital of Alta California, in Monterey, and because it was headquarters for the mission chain from 1770-1803. However it did not have the large herds of livestock found at many of the other missions. On December 31, 1832, two years before secularization of the missions, the padres reported the following animals present:
By way of comparison San Luis Rey (which had the largest herds) had 57,330 animals present at that date.
Taxonomy upgrade extras: